That "handsome young attorney" was born in Springfield, Missouri, in 1873. He attended Central High School and Drury College and then moved to Lebanon, Tennessee, to attend the Cumberland School of Law.
In 1899, George married Rosa Nell Batch, who was known affectionately as "Nellie." The couple had three children that lived to adulthood: Stephen W., Lillian, and Anna.
Another house preceded the circa 1904 construction of the McLaughlin house on this lot in M.M. McCluer's addition, which was first platted in 1867. Local folklore says that George built the house for Nellie, but it does not appear that the McLaughlin's were the first occupants of the home. From 1903 to 1906, William J. Wood and his wife, Nellie, lived at this location. At the time, William was a travelling salesman for the McGregor-Noe Hardware Company, but he eventually became president of the Wood-Beazley Seed Company.
By 1925, Elizabeth Graffius was the new owner and by 1931 she had converted the former family home into apartments. As a widow, she may well have needed the money that renters would provide. The house experienced several owners throughout the following decades and remained an apartment building during most of those years. At any given time, the McLaughlin house was home to anywhere from four to six tenants.
The 1957 assessment shows the house contained 14 rooms, though how many of those were due to being divided into apartments in unknown. The house sits on a quarter of an acre near the downtown area and, despite interior changes, has thankfully been preserved.